The official website of the anime adaptation of Shiro’s Yama no Susume (Encouragement of Climb) manga has announced that a third season of the anime short is in production for 2018. The anime’s main cast and staff will also return.
In addition to a third anime season, there will also be an OVA set to release this Fall/Autumn, titled Yama no Susume: Omoide no Present. The OVA will also be screened in 6 cinema locations throughout Japan on October 28th.
Here are two preview images for the OVA:
The main cast will return to reprise their roles:
- Yuka Iguchi (Mako Reizei in Girls und Panzer) returns to voice Aoi
- Kana Asumi (Nyaruko in Haiyore! Nyaruko-san) as Hinata
- Yoko Hikasa (Mio Akiyama in K-ON!) is back as Kaede
- Yui Ogura (Tsukiko Tsutsukakushi from Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko.) voicing Kokona
The main staff from the previous 2 seasons will return to produce the third season and the OVA:
- Director: Yusuke Yamamoto (Aquarion Evol, Welcome to the NHK)
- Series Composer: Kazuyuki Fudeyashu (Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?, Walkure Romanze)
- Anime Character Designer and Chief Animation Director: Yusuke Matsuo (The [email protected] Cinderella Girls, Black Rock Shooter)
- Music Composer: [email protected]/yamazo (Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai)
- Animation Studio: 8-bit (IS: Infinite Stratos, Grisaia no Kajitsu)
Yama no Susume (Encouragement of Climb) is a manga series written and illustrated by Shiro. The manga began in 2011 in Earth Star Entertainment’s Comic Earth Star magazine. An anime adaptation was produced last year from studio 8-Bit (Tokyo Ravens, Infinite Stratos) and directed by Yuusuke Yamamoto (Welcome to the N.H.K., Walkure Romanze). The series ran for one season with each episode being approximately 5 minutes long. A second season of the anime aired in July 2014 for a total of 24 episodes, each approximately 12 minutes long.
Here is a synopsis from MAL:
Aoi prefers indoor hobbies and is afraid of heights, but her childhood friend Hinata loves to show off her passion for mountain climbing. As young children they once watched the sunrise from the top of a mountain, and now they’ve decided to take up mountain climbing in hopes of seeing that sunrise again. They have cooking battles with mountaineering gear, climb small hills in their neighborhood, and meet new mountaineering friends as they learn the ropes of the hobby. When will they finally see that sunrise again?
The third season of the Yama no Susume anime is currently in production and will broadcast in 2018. An OVA will release later this year, with theatre screenings on October 28 in 6 cinemas across Japan. Further details about the new season and OVA will be revealed at a later date.
“Yama no Susume”, “Encouragement of Climb”, images, video and all associated brands and titles © 2017 Shiro, Earth Star Entertainment, 8-Bit and Yama no Susume Production Committee