Ahead of its debut, the official Twitter account of the anime adaptation of Asato Asato and Shirabii’s 86 -Eighty Six- revealed a brand new visual for the anime’s upcoming 2nd half. The new image features the main characters in their new designs.
Here is the key visual for 86 -Eighty Six- season 2:
The 2nd half of the 86 anime will begin its broadcast on the midnight of Saturday, October 2nd (effectively October 3rd) on Tokyo MX, Tochigi TV, GTV, and BS11. The anime will also air on Chukyo TV on the 3rd at 2:55 am JST, and on Yomiuri TV on the 5th at 2:29 am JST
The second promotional video for the anime has been revealed, also previewing the Opening theme song of the anime: Kyokai-sen (Boundary) by Amazarashi:
Here is the first promotional video:
The anime’s website has unveiled the 2nd half character designs for the anime’s returning cast:
- Ikumi Hasegawa (Aisha Udgard in Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki) will resume her role as Vladilena Milize
- Shouya Chiba (Kotarou Azumi from Tsuki ga Kirei) as Shinei Nouzen
- Sayumi Suzushiro (Akira Oono in High Score Girl) as Kurena Kukumila
- Natsumi Fujiwara (Tooru Mutsuki from Tokyo Ghoul: re) returns to voice Theoto Rikka
- Seiichirou Yamashita (Kakeru Naruse in Orange) voices the role of Raiden Shuga
- Saori Hayami (Yukino Yukinoshita from Oregairu) as Anju Emma
The anime’s production staff includes:
- Director: Toshimasa Ishii (Boku dake ga Inai Machi and Mirai no Mirai Assistant Director)
- Series Composer: Toshiya Ono (Gatchaman Crowds, The Promised Neverland)
- Anime Character Designer and Chief Animation Director: Tetsuya Kawakami (Gakusen Toshi Asterisk, Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin)
- Music Composers: Hiroyuki Sawano (Attack on Titan, Guilty Crown) and Kohta Yamamoto (Attack on Titan: The Final Season, Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Impure King Arc)
- Sound Director: Jin Aketagawa (Aldnoah.Zero, AnoHana)
- Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures (Sword Art Online, Fairy Tail)
86 -Eighty Six- is a sci-fi action light novel series written by Asato Asato with illustrations from Shirabii. The series began in early 2017, published by ASCII Media Works under their Dengeki Bunko imprint. To date, a total of 10 volumes have been compiled and published. The series has received several manga adaptations and spin-offs in the years following its debut. A TV anime adaptation was produced in the Spring 2021 anime season, directed by Toshimasa Ishii, and produced by A-1 Pictures. The anime is a split cour series, with the second cour/half airing in October 2021.
Here is the series synopsis from MAL:
According to the Republic of San Magnolia, their ongoing war against the Giadian Empire has no casualties—however, that is mere propaganda. While the silver-haired Alba of the Republic’s eighty-five sectors live safely behind protective walls, those of different appearances are interned in a secret eighty-sixth faction. Known within the military as the Eighty-Six, they are forced to fight against the Empire’s autonomous Legion under the command of the Republican “Handlers.”
Vladilena Milizé is assigned to the Spearhead squadron to replace their previous Handler. Shunned by her peers for being a fellow Eighty-Six supporter, she continues to fight against their inhumane discrimination. Shinei Nouzen is the captain of the Spearhead squadron. Infamous for being the sole survivor of every squadron he’s been in, he insists on shouldering the names and wishes of his fallen comrades. When the fates of these young souls from two different worlds collide, will it ignite the spark that lights their path to salvation, or will they burn themselves in the flames of despair?
The second half of the 86 -Eighty Six- anime will premiere on Tokyo MX on the midnight of October 2nd/October 3rd, during the Fall/Autumn 2021 season.