The official website of Terra Formars anime has updated to include lots of new information for the upcoming OVAs. Some new character designs, bios and a new commercial have released for the two OVAs, which will be covering the Bugs 2 Arc, that is set to release this August and November.
The OVAs are a prequel set 20 years before the full TV anime series, which is set to air in October. The first OVA is titled The Encounter and will release in a bundle with the 10th volume of the manga that will release in August. The second OVA will be titled Undefeated and will be bundled with the 11th volume of the manga, expected to release in November. Both bundles will cost ¥1,980 (~$19.80 USD).
Updated character designs of the OVAs were released on the website with a small bio for each character. The OVA’s cast were previously revealed as well.
- Hidenobu Kiuchi (Hei in Darker Than Black) will voice the lead character Shokichi Komachi
- Tomokazu Sugita (Gintoki Sakata from Gintama) voices Ichiro Hiruma
- Tomohisa Hashizume (Bertolt Hoover in Attack on Titan) plays as Thien
- Ayako Kawasumi (Saber from Fate/Zero, Fate/stay night) as Nanao Akita
- Nana Mizuki (Hinata Hyuuga from Naruto) as Maria Viren
- Hiroshi Yanaka (Nobuhiko Tokiwa in Tamako Market) as Kou Honda
- Ami Koshimizu (Ryuuko Matoi from Kill la Kill) voices Victoria Wood
- Jouji Nakata (Alucard from Hellsing Ultimate) as Alexander Gustav Newton
- Ayahi Takagaki (Henrietta in Log Horizon) voicing Zhang Ming-Ming
- Rikiya Koyama (Kiritsugu Emiya in Fate/Zero, Fate/stay night) voices Donatello K. Davis
- Kenjiro Tsuda (Mikoto Suoh in K) will voice God Lee
The production crew for the OVA was also earlier announced. The crew will also be animating the Terra Formars anime series.
- Director: Hiroshi Hamasaki (Steins;Gate, Blade & Soul)
- Assistant Director: Takaharu Ozaki (Texhnolyze)
- Series Composition: Shougo Yasukawa (Choujigen Game Neptune: The Animation, Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?)
- Main Character Designer: Masanori Shino (Black Lagoon)
- Character Designer: Satoshi Kimura (Buddy Complex)
- Animation Studio: Liden Films (Miss Monochrome, Senyuu)
A new commercial also released for the OVA:
Terra Formars is an original manga written by Yu Sasuga and illustrated by Kenichi Tachibana. The series was first published in 2011 in Shueisha’s Weekly Young Jump magazine. To date the series has 8 volumes published. The manga ranked 1st in Kono Manga ga Sugoi! Top 20 Manga for Male Readers guidebook, with over 6 million copies in print. A TV anime and OVA were announced in February this year. The OVA will handle the first arc in the series, the Bugs 2 Arc, and the anime series will continue on with the Annex 1 arc.
Here is a synopsis of the series from MAL:
With the space program attempting to travel to Mars, 21st century scientists were tasked with warming up the planet so that humans could survive on its surface. They came up with an efficient and cost-effective plan of sending cockroaches and mold to the surface so that the mold would absorb the sunlight and the insect corpses would serve as a food source for the mold.
It is now the year 2577 and the first manned ship to Mars has landed on the planet and the six crew members are ready for their mission. But what they find are giant mutated humanoid cockroaches with incredible physical strength. The crew members are easily wiped out, but not before sending a transmission back to Earth. Now, humanity will send elite warriors to exterminate the mutated bugs and claim back Mars.
The two Terra Formars OVAs will be bundled in the 10th and 11th manga volumes, which will be out in August and November respectively. More information about the anime series, set to air in October this Fall/Autumn, will be released in the upcoming weeks.
You can visit the OVA’s official site here: http://terraformars.tv/bugs2/