The official website of the upcoming anime adaptation of Kugane Maruyama and So-bin’s Overlord light novel series has revealed that the TV series will begin its broadcast from July 7th this year. In addition, the site has also revealed a brand new visual and character designs for the main characters.
The anime’s website has revealed that Overlord will first air on Tuesday July 7th at 11:30pm JST on AT-X, where the episodes will also be rebroadcasted every Thursday, Sunday and Monday. The anime will also air on Tokyo MX on the 8th at midnight (effectively the 9th at 12:00am JST), on SUN TV at 12:30am JST, on KBS Kyoto at 1:00am JST and on TV Aichi at 2:05am JST, all on the 9th.
The first set of character designs for the upcoming anime were revealed for the anime’s main cast, who were earlier revealed. They include:
- Satoshi Hino (Yuuji Sakai in Shakugan no Shana) will voice Momonga, the guild leader of Ains
- Yumi Hara (Takane Shijou in The iDOLM@STER) will be voicing Albedo
- Sumire Uesaka (Sanae Dekomori in Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!) as Shalltear Bloodfallen
- Emiri Katou (Kyuubey from Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica) is voicing as Aura Bella Fiore
- Yumi Uchiyama (Yoko Inokuma in Kiniro Mosaic) voices Mare Bello Fiore
- Kenta Miyake (Tsume in Wolf’s Rain) will play the role of Cocytus
- Masayuki Katou (Kiyomasa Senji from Deadman Wonderland) voices Demiurge
- Shigeru Chiba (Kazuma Kuwabara in Yu Yu Hakusho) as Sebas Tian
There are also currently two other members of the case:
- Mao Ichimichi (Kazumi Schlierenzauer from Gokukoku no Brynhildr) as Enri Emmot
- Manami Numakura (Aoi Sakurai in Rail Wars!) will voice Narberal Gamma
The first members of the anime’s staff were revealed. They include:
- Director: Naoyuki Itou (Digimon: Data Squad, One Piece 3D2Y)
- Series Composer and Screenplay Writer: Yukie Sugawara (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, Sword Art Online)
- Anime Character Designer and Chief Animation Director: Yoshimatsu Takahiro (Hunter × Hunter, Trigun)
- Sound Director: Yuki Satofumi (Rail Wars!, Ninja Slayer From Animation)
- Music Composer: Shuuji Katayama (Yurumates3Dei, Francesca)
- Animation Studio: Madhouse (No Game No Life, Wolf Children)
The main theme songs of the anime were also revealed. The Opening theme song will be Clattanoia, performed by OxT, a collaboration between Masayoshi Oishi and Tom-H@ck, and the Ending will be L.L.L. sung by MYTH & ROID.
Here is the first promotional video of the anime:
Overlord is a fantasy light novel series written by Kugane Maruyama and illustrated by so-bin. The series began online in 2010 before Kadokawa’s Enterbrain light novel imprint began publishing the series in 2012. To date a total of 8 compiled volumes have been released. The first two volumes of the manga have sold over 100,000 copies combined. An audio CD of the series was released bundled with the light novel’s 3rd volume, and 2 drama CDs of the series were released with volumes 4 and 6. A manga adaptation of the series illustrated by Hugin Miyama began in November last year in Kadokawa Shoten’s monthly Comp Ace magazine.
Here is a synopsis of the series from ANN:
The story begins with Yggdrasil, a popular online game which is quietly shut down one day. However, the protagonist Momonga decides to not log out. Momonga is then transformed into the image of a skeleton as “the most powerful wizard.” The world continues to change, with non-player characters (NPCs) beginning to feel emotion. Having no parents, friends, or place in society, this ordinary young man Momonga then strives to take over the new world the game has become.
The Overlord anime will start airing on Tuesdays from July 7th at 11:00pm JST on AT-X, throughout the upcoming Summer 2015 anime season. Any new information and videos will be revealed at a later date.
“Overlord”, images, videos and all associated brands and titles © 2015 Kugane Maruyama, so-bin, Madhouse and Enterbrain