At the recent Dengeki Bunko event, the second season of the anime adaptation of Tsutomu Satou and Kana Ishida’s Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (The Irregular at Magic High School) light novel series has been announced for 2020, 6 years after the first season’s debut. The anime’s official website released the first visual and teaser video.
The full title of the second season will be Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Raihousha-hen (The Irregular At Magic High School: Visitor Arc) which is set to cover the Visitor arc from the light novels. The arc covers volumes 9-11.
Here is the announcement video:
The site has announced that the cast members from the anime film and first season will return for the second season:
- Yuuichi Nakamura (Kyousuke Kousaka in Oreimo) voices Tatsuya Shiba
- Saori Hayami (Yukino Yukinoshita from Oregairu) as Miyuki Shiba
- Yoko Hikasa (Mio Akiyama in K-ON!) returning to voice Angelina Kudou Shields
- Yumi Uchiyama (Yoko Inokuma from Kiniro Mosaic) voicing Erika Chiba
- Takuma Terashima (Shiroe from Log Horizon) voiced as Leonhart Saijou
- Satomi Sato (Ritsu Tainaka from K-ON!) played the role of Mizuki Shibata
- Atsushi Tamaru (Ayato Amagiri in Gakusen Toshi Asterisk) will voice Mikihiko Yoshida
- Sora Amamiya (Miia from Monster Musume) voicing as Honoka Mitsui
- Yuiko Tatsumi (Riko Suminoe from Kiss x Sis) returns as Shizuku Kitayama
The first few members of the second season’s staff have been revealed, which are staff returning from the anime film’s production:
- Director: Risako Yoshida (Diabolik Lovers More, Lostorage conflated WIXOSS)
- Anime Character Designer: Kana Ishida (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, Aquarion Evol)
- Music Composer: Taku Iwasaki (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, Noragami)
- Animation Studio: 8-Bit (Grisaia no Kajitsu, IS: Infinite Stratos)
In addition to the second season, the website has also announced that the first season will be rebroadcast in January 2020.
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (The irregular at magic high school) began as an online novel series written by Tsutomu Satou that ran from 2008 till 2011 for a total of 6 volumes. The supernatural school series was then picked up by Dengeki Bunko in July 2011, with illustrations by Kana Ishida. To date a total of 29 volumes have been published; the latest volume released on June 9th. The series was adapted into an anime series during the Spring 2014 season for a total of 26 episodes; produced by Madhouse (Death Note, Hellsing Ultimate) and directed by Manabu Ono (A-Channel, Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon). The series was followed up by a film in June 2017, Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Hoshi wo Yobu Shoujo. The film featured new production, directed by Risako Yoshida (Diabolik Lovers More, Lostorage conflated WIXOSS) and produced by 8-Bit (Grisaia no Kajitsu, IS: Infinite Stratos)
Here is the series synopsis:
Magic has been recognized and analyzed over the last century. What was once the realm of folklore and tales is now a formalized practice and applied science. And magicians—those capable of using magic to its fullest potential—hold the power to change the world on every conceivable level.
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei follows Tatsuya Shiba, a magician who excels at magical combat and technical knowledge, and Miyuki Shiba, his sister and the heir of the Yotsuba family who Tatsuya is assigned to protect, as they begin their first day at a school for magicians known as First High School. However, the school segregates the students based on their entrance exam scores, with the best students (known as “Blooms”) being assigned to First Course and the worst students (known as “Weeds”) being assigned to the Second Course. Due to the exams not accounting for his talents, Tatsuya is placed in the Second Course, making him an irregular student within the magic high school.
A second season of the Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei anime has been announced, 5 years after the first season premiered. The series will air in 2020.