North American anime licensor and distributor GKIDS Films has just announced on Twitter that Makoto Shinkai’s latest anime feature, Tenki no Ko (Weathering With You), will release around the country on January 17, 2020.
WEATHERING WITH YOU from Makoto Shinkai opens in theaters on January 17!
— GKIDS Films (@GKIDSfilms) October 10, 2019
Further details about the North American release, other than the newly announced release date, will be revealed at a later date. Information regarding locations, English voice cast, and run duration, have yet to be revealed. The distributor has confirmed that the 2020 release will have both options for Japanese dubbing with English subtitles and an English dubbing. The film has been released in various countries outside of Japan with localised subtitles, including Hong Kong, China, Australia and New Zealand, with more to come in the following months.
Here is the official trailer of the film:
Tenki no Ko has become the 6th highest grossing anime film of all time in Japan, surpassing Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro) and Studio Ghibli’s (Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro) 2013 anime title The Wind Rises (Kaze Tachinu). The movie has earned over ¥132,000,000 (~ US$1.23 Million) at the Japanese box office since its July 19th release.
The Japanese cast of the film include:
- Kotarou Daigo debuting as Hodaka Morishima
- Nana Mori (Runa Horibe in Mr. Hiiragi’s Homeroom) in her first anime role voicing Hina Amano
- Shun Oguri (Gintoki Sakata in Gintama live action film) voicing Keisuke Suga
- Tsubasa Honda (Futaba Yoshioka in Ao Haru Ride live action film) as Natsumi
- Chieko Baisho (Sophie from Howl’s Moving Castle) voicing Tomi
- Sakura Kiryu (Tokine Shinomiya in Love Stoppage Time) as Nagisa Amano
- Sei Hiraizumi (Koichi Matsudo in L: Change the World) who voices Yasui
- Yuuki Kaji (Eren Jaeger in Attack on Titan) voicing the role of Takai
Tenki no Ko‘s key production staff consists of:
- Director, Screenplay writer, Editor: Makoto Shinkai (Kimi no Na wa.. )
- Character Designer: Masayoshi Tanaka (AnoHana, Toradora!)
- Art Director: Hiroshi Takiguchi (Ajin, The Garden of Words)
- Music Composer: RADWIMPS (Kimi no Na wa)
- Animation Studio: CoMix Wave Inc. (Children Who Chase Lost Voices, Kimi no Na wa.)
Makoto Shinkai is a well known anime director who got his start in the industry in 1997 directing the short film Other Worlds. His first major breakthrough in the industry was 2002’s Voices of a Distant Star, which won various awards including the Animation Kobe award and the Seiun Award. Since his debut 20 years ago, his films have received acclaim and recognition for the films’ plot, use of mature themes and breathtaking visuals. One of his more recent hits is 2007’s 5 Centimeters Per Second, which won the award for Best Animated Feature Film at the 2007 Asia Pacific Screen Awards. Shinkai’s most recent feature film is 2016’s Kimi no Na Wa. (your name.), which received critical reception and became the highest grossing anime film in Japan of all time. The movie grossed over ¥25.5 Billion (~ US$228.2 Million) domestically, and ¥39.6 Billion (~ US$354 Million) internationally.
Here is the synopsis of Tenki no Ko:
The summer of his high school freshman year, Hodaka runs away from his remote island home to Tokyo, and quickly finds himself pushed to his financial and personal limits. The weather is unusually gloomy and rainy every day, as if to suggest his future. He lives his days in isolation, but finally finds work as a writer for a mysterious occult magazine. Then one day, Hodaka meets Hina on a busy street corner. This bright and strong-willed girl possesses a strange and wonderful ability: the power to stop the rain and clear the sky…
GKIDS Films will be bringing Makoto Shinkai’s latest anime film Tenki no Ko (Weathering With You) to theatres across North America from January 17, 2020.