The official website of the anime adaptation of Kazuma Kamachi and Motoi Fuyukawa’s Toaru Kagaku no Railgun (A Certain Scientific Railgun) manga has announced that the upcoming third season is set to premiere in January 2020. The first key visual has also been released.
The third season of Toaru Kagaku no Railgun, titled Toaru Kagaku no Railgun T, will start airing from January 10th on AT-X at 10:00pm JST. The series will then broadcast on Tokyo MX and Abema TV on the 11th at 1:05am JST. It will then air on BS11 at 1:30am JST, and MBS at 2:55am JST.
The main cast of the previous seasons will return for season 3:
- Rina Satou (Haruka Minami in Minami-ke) returns to voice Misaka Mikoto
- Satomi Arai (Seiko Shinohara from Corpse Party) as Kuroko Shirai
- Aki Toyosaki (Yui Hirasawa from K-ON!) is voicing the role of Kazari Uiharu
- Kanae Itou (Yui in Sword Art Online) as Ruiko Saten
The main staff members of the anime’s production includes:
- Director: Tatsuyuki Nagai (anohana, Toradora!)
- Series Composer: Shougo Yasukawa (Terra Formars: Revenge, Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?)
- Anime Character Designer: Yuuichi Tanaka (OreGairu, Natsuiro Kiseki)
- Music Composer: Maiko Iuchi (Selector Infected WIXOSS, Rewrite)
- Sound Director: Jin Aketagawa (Aldnoah.Zero, AnoHana)
- Animation Studio: J.C. Staff (Toradora!, Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo)
Here is the first commercial for the upcoming season:
Toaru Majutsu no Index (A Certain Magical Index) is a light novel series created by Kazuma Kamachi. The series is illustrated by Kiyotaka Haimura, and began in 2004 being published in ASCII Media Works’ Dengeki Bunko imprint. The original light novels ended in August 2011 for a total of 25 volumes, but numerous prequel, sequel and spin-off series were spawned. A total of 4 manga adaptations were created, the most notable being Toaru Kagaku no Railgun. There have been two anime adaptations in the franchise, one on Index and the other on Railgun. Both these series received have been produced by J.C. Staff. An OVA released in 2010 and an original film titled Toaru Majutsu no Index: Endyumion no Kiseki released in Japan on February 23rd 2013. The third season of Index premiered in October 2018.
Here is a synopsis of the series from MAL:
Kamijou Touma is a student living in Academy City, a highly advanced place in terms of technology. Despite being gauged as a level zero esper (no powers), he possesses on his right hand the Imagine Breaker, an ability that negates any power whatsoever. Touma finds a young girl named Index who is trying to run away from Necessarius, a powerful magic organization that she is member of. Blessed with the skill of memorizing any sort of information, she holds 103,000 forbidden magical books within her head. As science and magic cross paths, Touma must face several dangers amid espers and magicians who appear at the exciting scientific town.
The third season of Toaru Kagaku no Railgun, Toaru Kagaku no Railgun T, will start airing from January 10 on AT-X during the Winter 2019/2020 anime season.