The official Twitter account of the anime adaptation of Koyoharu Gotouge’s Demon Slayer (Kimetsu no Yaiba) manga has announced that the anime film, Demon Slayer Movie: Infinity Train (Kimetsu no Yaiba Movie: Mugen Ressha), has just crossed ¥15.7 Billion (~ US$149 Million) in just 17 days.
劇場版「鬼滅の刃」無限列車編、公開17日間で観客動員 1189万1254人（興行収入 157億9936万5450円）と連日大変多くの方に映画館へ足を運んでいただいており本当にありがとうございます。お一人おひとりのご観劇への感謝と共にこれからも興行を続けて参ります。何卒よろしくお願い致します。#鬼滅の刃
— 鬼滅の刃公式 (@kimetsu_off) November 2, 2020
In just 2 1/2 weeks at the Japanese box office, the Demon Slayer anime film has become the 10th highest-grossing film in Japan of all time, and the 5th highest-grossing anime film of all time in Japan. The film knocks out Studio Ghibli’s 2008 Ponyo, which grossed ¥15.5 Billion (~ US$148 Million)
The current top 5 highest-grossing anime films in Japan are:
- Spirited Away (Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi) ¥30.8 Billion
- Your name. (Kimi no Na wa.) ¥25.03 Billion
- Howl’s Moving Castle (Hauru no ugoku shiro) ¥19.6 Billion
- Princess Mononoke (Mononoke-hime) ¥19.3 Billion
- Demon Slayer Movie: Infinity Train (Kimetsu no Yaiba Movie: Mugen Ressha) ¥15.7 Billion
Demon Slayer Movie: Infinity Train released in theatres across Japan on Friday, October 16th. The movie has a total runtime of 117 minutes (1 hour 57 minutes) and will adapt the Infinite Train arc, chapters 53 – 66 of the manga (volumes 7 and 8). The film earned over ¥4.6 Billion (~ US$43.8 Million) at the Japanese box office in its first 3 days, getting the record for the highest 3-day opening for any film released in Japan ever.
The film also broke the record for the fastest film to reach the ¥10 Billion (~ US$95 Million), reaching the target in just 10 days.
The anime’s main cast consists of:
- Natsuki Hanae (Ken Kaneki in Tokyo Ghoul) voicing Tanjirou Kamado
- Akari Kitou (Calen from Time Bokan 24) as Nezuko Kamado
- Satoshi Hino (Yuuji Sakai in Shakugan no Shana) as Kyojuro Rengoku
- Hiro Shimono (Keima Katsuragi in The World God Only Knows) voicing the role of Zenitsu Agatsuma
- Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (Kirito in Sword Art Online) as Inosuke Hashibira
- Takahiro Sakurai (Suzaku Kururugi in Code Geass) voicing Giyuu Tomioka
- Saori Hayami (Yukino Yukinoshita from Oregairu) who voices Shinobu Kochou
- Toshihiko Seki (Duo Maxwell from Mobile Suit Gundam Wing) as Muzan Kibutsuji
The anime’s production staff has:
- Director: Haruo Sotozaki (Tales of Symphonia the Animation, Tales of Zestiria the X)
- Anime Character Designer: Akira Matsushima (Maria-sama ga Miteru, Tales of Zestiria the X)
- Art design: Masahiro Kimura (Black Lagoon and Tokyo Babylon 2 Animation Director)
- Music Composers: Go Shiina (God Eater and Tales of. Games) and Yuki Kajiura (Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica, Fate/Zero)
- Animation Studio: ufotable (Fate/Zero, Kara no Kyoukai)
Here is the film’s main trailer:
A brand new trailer has been released, titled the final trailer, which features many plot-relevant scenes from the film that can be considered spoilers:
Demon Slayer (Kimetsu no Yaiba) is a supernatural, action manga written and illustrated by Koyoharu Gotouge. The series began syndication in February 2016, published in Shueisha’s Weekly Shonen Jump. To date a total of 16 compiled volumes have been published. The manga has enjoyed much success in Japan where a total of 6 million copies have been sold as of March 2019. The series received a TV anime adaptation in April 2019 during the Spring 2019 anime season. The series ran for a total of 26 episodes; directed by Haruo Sotozaki (Tales of Symphonia the Animation, Tales of Zestiria the X) and produced by ufotable (Fate/Zero, Kara no Kyoukai).
Here is the series synopsis from MAL:
Ever since the death of his father, the burden of supporting the family has fallen upon Tanjirou Kamado’s shoulders. Though living impoverished on a remote mountain, the Kamado family are able to enjoy a relatively peaceful and happy life. One day, Tanjirou decides to go down to the local village to make a little money selling charcoal. On his way back, night falls, forcing Tanjirou to take shelter in the house of a strange man, who warns him of the existence of flesh-eating demons that lurk in the woods at night.
When he finally arrives back home the next day, he is met with a horrifying sight—his whole family has been slaughtered. Worse still, the sole survivor is his sister Nezuko, who has been turned into a bloodthirsty demon. Consumed by rage and hatred, Tanjirou swears to avenge his family and stay by his only remaining sibling. Alongside the mysterious group calling themselves the Demon Slayer Corps, Tanjirou will do whatever it takes to slay the demons and protect the remnants of his beloved sister’s humanity.
The Demon Slayer anime movie, Demon Slayer Movie: Infinity Train, is currently out in theatres across Japan.
You can view the anime’s website here: https://kimetsu.com/anime/
And follow their Twitter: @kimetsu_off