Japanese multimedia corporation Square Enix has announced that its 2007 JRPG title The World Ends with You will be adapted into a TV anime series. The first members of the anime’s production staff and first visual were also revealed.
The adaptation, titled The World Ends with You The Animation, is currently set to premiere in 2021.
The first promotional video for the series was revealed, showcasing the visuals and music:
The first members of the production staff were revealed and includes:
- Director: Kazuya Ichikawa (Monster Strike the Animation, Chuubyou Gekihatsu Boy)
- Series Composer: Midori Gotou (Attack on Titan: Junior High, Hoozuki no Reitetsu)
- Anime Character Designers: Tetsuya Nomura (Final Fantasy VII, Kingdom Hearts) and Gen Kobayashi (Schoolgirl Strikers, Final Fantasy V Advance)
- Music Composer: Takeharu Ishimoto (Dissidia: Final Fantasy, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII)
- Animation Studios: Domerica (Tantei Team KZ Jiken Note, Flying Witch Petit) and Shin-Ei Animation (Doraemon, Denki-gai no Honya-san)
The World Ends with You is a Japanese Role-Playing Game developed and published by Square Enix. The game was originally released in 2007 on the Nintendo DS to positive reviews. The game was ported to mobile devices on iOS and Android in 2012 and on Nintendo Switch in 2018 as The World Ends with You: Final Remix. The Switch release included updated controls, co-op, and a new scenario.
Here is the game’s synopsis:
Complete the mission…or face erasure. That’s all Neku knows after regaining consciousness in the middle of a busy intersection without his memories. Now he and his partner must fight to survive a life-or-death game in this twisted tale with more turns than the urban labyrinth of Tokyo they’re trapped in.
The TV anime adaptation of The World Ends with You, The World Ends with You The Animation, will air in 2021.
"The World Ends with You", "The World Ends with You The Animation", images, video and all associated brands and titles © 2020 Square Enix and The World Ends with You Project