The official website of the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (Higurashi When They Cry) anime has revealed that Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: Sotsu (Higurashi When They Cry: Sotsu) will currently run for a total of 15 episodes.
The first details about the Blu-ray and DVD release of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: Sotsu has been revealed. There will be a total of 4 volumes, with each volume containing 4 episodes (the first volume will feature 3 episodes). Each volume will come with the episodes, as well as storyboards, a soundtrack CD, a special booklet, a uniquely designed case, and a special code for the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Mei mobile game. The release schedule is as follows:
- Volume 1, November 26 – Episodes 1-3
- Volume 2, December 22 – Episodes 4-6
- Volume 3, January 26, 2022 – Episodes 7-11
- Volume 4, February 25, 2022 – Episodes 12-15
The Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: Sotsu anime is currently airing every Thursday on Tokyo MX at 11:30 pm JST, and on BS11 and Sun TV on Fridays at 12:30 am JST.
The main cast of the anime returns:
- Yukari Tamura (Suzuha Suzuha from Steins;Gate) as Rika Furude
- Mika Kanai (Kaguya Sumeragi in Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch) returns to voice Satoko Houjou
- Soichiro Hoshi (Tomoki Sakurai in Sora no Otoshimono) as Keiichi Maebara
- Mai Nakahara (Nagisa Furukawa from Clannad) voices Rena Ryuugu
- Satsuki Yukino (Kagome Higurashi in InuYasha) as Mion Sonozaki
- Satsuki Yukino also voices Shion Sonozaki
- Tooru Ookawa (Roy Mustang in Fullmetal Alchemist) voicing as Jirou Tomitake
- Noriko Hidaka (Masumi Sera from Detective Conan) as Eua
- Toshihiko Seki (Senketsu in Kill la Kill) as Kyousuke Irie
- Chafurin (Juzo Megure from Detective Conan) voicing Kuraudo Ooishi
- Miki Itou (Taiga Fujimura in Fate/stay night) as Miyo Takano
Here is the anime’s latest promotional video:
And here is the first PV:
The anime’s production staff includes:
- Director: Keiichiro Kawaguchi (Sket Dance, Minami-ke Tadaima)
- Series Composer: Naoki Hayashi (A3! Season Spring & Summer, Citrus)
- Anime Character Designer: Akio Watanabe (Bakemonogatari, The World God Only Knows)
- Music Composer: Kenji Kawai (Higashi no Eden, Ghost in the Shell)
- Animation Studio: Passione (Rokka no Yuusha, Citrus)
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (Higurashi When They Cry) is a mystery, horror sound novel series developed by 07th Expansion, a small doujin circle of developers. The first game in the series released in 2002 at Comiket for the PC with each subsequent game releasing in the following years till 2006. Each game featured a different scenario in an overarching plot. The game was eventually ported to the PlayStation 2, Nintendo DS and even on Android and IOS devices. The series gained a large following and sold over 500,000 copies, with a manga and light novel adaptation in 2005 and 2006 respectively. Also in 2006 was an anime adaptation produced by Studio Deen (Fate/Stay night, Rurouni Kenshin) and directed by Chiaki Kon (Golden Time, Junjou Romantica). The anime was then followed up with a sequel season and numerous OVAs, with a new adaptation in 2020. Additionally, two live-action films were released in 2008 and 2009. A sequel sound novel was released in 2014.
Here is a synopsis of the series from MAL:
After moving into the quiet town of Hinamizawa, Maebara Keiichi spends his days blissfully in school often playing games with his local friends. However, appearances can be deceiving. One fateful day, Keiichi stumbles upon news of a murder that had occurred in Hinamizawa. From this point on, horrific events unfold in front of Keiichi, as he soon learns his close friends may not be all that they seem. Based on the amateur mystery game by 07th Expansion, the story is told in a series of different scenarios.
The Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: Sotsu anime is currently airing every Thursday on Tokyo MX at 11:30 pm JST.