The official website of the TV anime adaptation of Makoto Yukimura’s Vinland Saga manga has announced that the upcoming second season begin its broadcast on January 10 2023. In addition, a brand new trailer was also revealed.
The second season of the anime will premiere on Monday, January 10 2023 on Tokyo MX, BS11, and GTV at 12:30 am JST.
A brand new trailer has been released that previews the upcoming season’s Opening theme song, River by Anonymouz.
Here is the anime’s previous promotional video:
The main cast of Vinland Saga Season 2 includes:
- Yuuto Uemura (Hiro in DARLING in the FRANKXX) returns to voice Thorfinn
- Kensho Ono (Slaine Troyard from Aldnoah.Zero) is back as Canute
- Akio Ootsuka (Batou from Ghost in the Shell) as Thorkell
- Mayumi Sako (Rikka Sakuragawa in Kyokou Suiri) joins the cast to voice Arnheid
- Fuminori Komatsu (Jean-Pierre Polnareff from JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure) as Snake
- Yuu Hayashi (Manjirou Sano in Tokyo Revengers) will voice the role of Olmar
- Taiten Kusunoki (Yoshimura in Tokyo Ghoul) voicing as Thorgil
The production staff for the upcoming season includes:
- Director: Shuuhei Yabuta (Inuyashiki Last Hero, Vinland Saga)
- Series Composer: Hiroshi Seko (Mob Psycho 100, Attack on Titan: Final Season)
- Anime Character Designer and Animation Director: Takahiko Abiru (Vinland Saga)
- Music Composer: Yutaka Yamada (Tokyo Ghoul, Vinland Saga)
- Sound Director: Shouji Hata (Fairy Tail, ReLIFE)
- Animation Studio: MAPPA (Yuri!! on Ice, Attack on Titan: Final Season)
Vinland Saga is a historical action drama manga written and illustrated by Makoto Yukimura. The series began in early 2005 under Kodansha’s Weekly Shonen Magazine, before being moved over to Monthly Afternoon magazine later that year. To date, a total of 26 volumes have been released. The series has been a hit in Japan, with over 5 million copies in circulation. The series has won the Grand Prize in the manga division of the 2009 Japan Media Arts awards, and the 2012 Kodansha Manga Award for Best General Manga. The series received a TV anime adaptation in Summer 2019 that ran for 24 episodes. The anime was directed by Shuuhei Yabuta (Inuyashiki Last Hero) and produced by Wit Studio (Attack on Titan, Owari no Seraph).
Here is the MAL synopsis:
Young Thorfinn grew up listening to the stories of old sailors that had traveled the ocean and reached the place of legend, Vinland. It’s said to be warm and fertile, a place where there would be no need for fighting—not at all like the frozen village in Iceland where he was born, and certainly not like his current life as a mercenary. War is his home now. Though his father once told him, “You have no enemies, nobody does. There is nobody who it’s okay to hurt,” as he grew, Thorfinn knew that nothing was further from the truth.
The war between England and the Danes grows worse with each passing year. Death has become commonplace, and the viking mercenaries are loving every moment of it. Allying with either side will cause a massive swing in the balance of power, and the vikings are happy to make names for themselves and take any spoils they earn along the way. Among the chaos, Thorfinn must take his revenge and kill Askeladd, the man who murdered his father. The only paradise for the vikings, it seems, is the era of war and death that rages on.
The second season of the Vinland Saga anime will air every Monday on Tokyo MX at 12:30 am JST, from January 10th 2023, during the Winter 2022/2023 anime season.