The official website of the TV anime adaptation of Aka Akasaka and Mengo Yokoyari’s Oshi no Ko (My Star) has revealed that the upcoming series will premiere this April. In addition, a brand new visual, cast members, and a promotional video was also revealed.
The Oshi no Ko anime will air this April during the Spring 2023 anime season. The first episode of the anime has a slated runtime of 90 minutes. The episode will also be released in select theatres across Japan from March 17th.
The first promotional video of the upcoming anime has been revealed, previewing the Opening theme song Idol by Yoasobi:
- Rie Takahashi (Megumin from KonoSuba) leads the cast as Ai Hoshino
- Takeo Ootsuka (Leon Fou Bartfort in Otome Game Sekai wa Mob ni Kibishii Sekai desu) as Aqua Hoshino
- Yurie Igoma (Debut Role) joins the cast to voice Ruby Hoshino
- Megumi Han (Gon Freecss from Hunter x Hunter) as Kana Arima
The leading members of the anime’s production staff include:
- Director: Daisuke Hiramaki (Watashi ni Tenshi ga Maiorita!, Selection Project)
- Assistant Director: Chao Nekotomi (Osake wa Fuufu ni Natte kara)
- Series Composer: Jin Tanaka (Tokyo Ghoul, Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha)
- Anime Character Designer: Kanna Hirayama (Kanojo, Okarishimasu)
- Animation Studio: Doga Kobo (Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Yuru Yuri)
Oshi no Ko (My Star) is a supernatural manga written by Aka Akasaka (Kaguya-sama) and illustrated by Mengo Yokoyari. The series began in mid-2020 under Shueisha’s Weekly Young Jump. To date, a total of 10 compiled volumes have been published. The series has over 1 million copies in circulation as of April 2021, and was ranked 7th in the 2022 Kono Manga ga Sugoi! list of best manga. The series was also nominated for the 2021 Manga Taishou award, placing 5th.
Here is the series synopsis from MAL:
Sixteen-year-old Ai Hoshino is a talented and beautiful idol who is adored by her fans. She is the personification of a pure, young maiden. But all that glitters is not gold.
Gorou Amemiya is a countryside gynecologist and a big fan of Ai. So when the pregnant idol shows up at his hospital, he is beyond bewildered. Gorou promises her a safe delivery. Little does he know, an encounter with a mysterious figure would result in his untimely death—or so he thought.
Opening his eyes in the lap of his beloved idol, Gorou finds that he has been reborn as Aquamarine Hoshino—Ai’s newborn son! With his world turned upside down, Gorou soon learns that the world of showbiz is paved with thorns, where talent does not always beget success. Will he manage to protect Ai’s smile that he loves so much with the help of an eccentric and unexpected ally?
The Oshi no Ko TV anime adaptation will air this April, during the Spring 2023 anime season.