The official website of the anime film adaptation of Yoshitoki Ooima’s Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice) manga has revealed additional details for the upcoming Blu-ray and DVD release. They will be releasing in Japan on May 17th.
There will be three versions available of the film’s home release, with early orders now open until April 20 on Kyoto Animation’s online store. All editions will come with the movie with Japanese audio and Japanese subtitles.
There will be a limited edition Blu-ray that will retail at ¥8,640 (~ US $77.00), containing the film and the following goods:
- a special box designed by Character Designer Futoshi Nishiya (below)
- the film’s main theme song, Koi o shita no by Aiko
- the song Speed of Youth by Kensuke Ushio (who was inspired by Aiko’s song)
- the song inner silence, which was originally created during the movie’s concept stage to set the theme and music
- a special booklet
- extended behind the scenes footage
- interviews with Director Naoko Yamada, Character Designer Futoshi Nishiya, Art Director Mutsuo Shinohara and Music Composer Kensuke Ushio
- a picture of the greeting from the stage event
- images from pilgrimage sites
- trailers, promotional videos and commercials
- DTS Headphones audio option
- audio commentary from the film’s production staff
The standard Blu-ray release will retail for ¥5,200 (~ US $46.35) and will contain the film, DTS Headphones audio option, audio commentary and the concept song inner silence. The DVD release will retail for ¥3,800 (~ US $33.85).
Additionally, various stores will be offering bonuses for pre-orders. Further details will be revealed at a later date.
Here is the commercial for the Blu-ray and DVD:
Koe no Katachi is the highest grossing film from Kyoto Animation, earning a total of ¥2.3 Billion (~ US $20 Million). The film debuted #2 at the Japanese box office in its opening weekend taking in ¥283 Million (~ US$2.8 Million). The film opened at 120 screens across Japan and has sold more than 300,000 tickets over the 3 day period. It topped ¥410 Million (~ US$4.06 Million) in its first 3 days
Here is the main cast of the anime:
- Miyu Irino (Akito Hyuuga in Code Geass: Boukoku no Akito) will star as Shouya Ishida
- Saori Hayami (Yukino Yukinoshita from Oregairu) will be voicing as Shouko Nishimiya
- Saori Hayami will also voice young Shouko Nishimiya
- Mayu Matsuoka (Debut Anime Role) voices a young Shouya Ishida
- Aoi Yuuki (Madoka Kaname in Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica) as Yuzuru Nishiya
- Kensho Ono (Slaine Troyard from Aldnoah.Zero) voicing Tomohiro Nagatsu
- Yuki Kaneko (Midori Tokiwa in Tamako Market) will voice Naoka Ueno
- Yui Ishikawa (Mikasa Ackerman in Attack on Titan) voices Miyoko Sahara
- Megumi Han (Hunter x Hunter (2011)) is going to voice Miki Kawai
- Toshiyuki Toyonaga (Mikado Ryuugamine from Durarara!!) voicing the role of Satoshi Mashibasa
The production staff of the Koe no Katachi anime includes:
- Director: Naoko Yamada (K-ON!, Tamako Market)
- Series Composer: Reiko Yoshida (Bakuman, Non Non Biyori)
- Anime Character Designer: Futoshi Nishiya (Free!, Hyouka)
- Sound Director: Yota Tsuruoka (Amagi Brilliant Park, Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica)
- Music: Kensuke Ushio (Ping Pong The Animation, Space☆Dandy)
- Animation Studio: Kyoto Animation (Hyouka, Hibike! Euphonium)
Here is the film’s latest trailer:
Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice) is a manga series written and illustrated by Yoshitoki Ooima. The series began as a one-shot in the February 2011 issue of Kodansha’s Bessatsu Shonen Magazine. A full manga series was then produced in August 2013 where it was published weekly in Kodansha’s Weekly Shonen Magazine. The series itself ended on the 12th this month for a total of 61 chapters compiled into 7 volumes, with the last volume releasing on December 17th. Since its publication, the series has sold over 700,000 copies as of May 2014.
Here is a synopsis of the series from MAL:
Ishida Shouya bullies a deaf girl, Nishimiya Shouko, to the point that she drops out of school. As a result, he is ostracized and bullied himself with no friends to speak of and no plans for the future.
This is the story of his path to redemption.
The Koe no Katachi anime film will release on Blu-ray and DVD in Japan on May 17th with Japanese audio and Japanese subtitles. Early orders are available from the Kyoto Animation online store until April 20th.
“Koe no Katachi”, “A Silent Voice”, images and all associated brands and titles © 2017 Yoshitoki Ooima, Kodansha, Kyoto Animation and the Koe no Katachi Production Committee