The official website of the upcoming anime adaptation of Yoshikazu Yasuhiko’s Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin has released lots of new information for the first animated film, Aoi Hitomi no Casval (The Origin Blue-Eyed Casval), which has been revealed to be releasing in Japan on February 28 next year. Furthermore, the anime films’ cast, visual and a couple new promotional videos were released on the site.
The anime’s official site has also revealed the main cast for the upcoming anime. They cast consists of:
- Mayumi Tanaka (Monkey D. Luffy from One Piece) will voice Casval Rem Deikun
- Megumi Han (Gon Freecss in Hunter x Hunter) as Artesia Som Deikun
- Ayumi Tsunematsu (Yura Onoda in Futari Ecchi OVA) voices as Astraia Tor Deikun
- Eizou Tsuda (Koyo Toya from Hikaru no Go) will be playing as Zeon Zum Deikun
- Jin Urayama (Instructor Neel from Train Heroes) as Degwin Sodo Zabi
- Banjou Ginga (Isaac Netero in Hunter x Hunter) voicing as Gihren Zabi
- Shinshuu Fuji (Zenjuuro Saotome in Beelzebub) will voice Sasuro Zabi
- Miyuki Sawashiro (Shinon in Sword Art Online II) voices Crowley Hamon
- Chafurin (Juzo Megure from Detective Conan) is voicing as Jimba Ral
- Shigeo Kiyama (Taka-tin from Gintama) voices Ramba Ral
- Kenta Miyake (Tsume in Wolf’s Rain) will assume the role of Dozle Zabi
- Akeno Watanabe (Rin Okumura from Ao no Exorcist) as Kycillia Zabi
- Shuuichi Ikeda (Char Aznable in previous Mobile Suit Gundam series) will return to assume the role of Char Aznable
The staff of the upcoming films were earlier revealed with the anime’s announcement:
- Director: Takashi Imanishi (Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory)
- Unit Directors: Kiyoshi Egami (City Hunter), Ichiro Itano (Gantz)
- Character Designers: Yoshikazu Yasuhiko (Mobile Suit Gundam), Tsukasa Kotobuki (Saber Marionette J)
- Original Mechanical Designer: Kunio Okawara (Mobile Suit Gundam Seed)
- Mechanical Designers: Katoki Hajime (Mobile Suit Gundam Wing), Yamane Kimitoshi (Mobile Suit Gundam Seed), Akitaka Mika (Date A Live), Akutsu Junichi (Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch)
- Screenplay: Sumisawa Katsuyuki (Dragon Ball Z)
- Chief Animation Director: Hiroyuki Nishimura (Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works)
- Animation Director & Mechanical Designer: Takuya Suzuki (Kakumeiki Valvrave)
- Art Directors: Shigemi Ikeda (Mobile Suit Gundam Seed), Yukiko Maruyama (Sekai Seifuku: Bouryaku no Zvezda)
- Colour Designer: Nagisa Abe (Ao no Exorcist)
- Sound Director: Sadayoshi Fujino (Mobile Suit Gundam AGE)
- Music Composer: Takayuki Hattori (Code:Breaker)
- Animation Studio: Sunrise (Mobile Suit Gundam, Love Live! School Idol Project)
Additionally, some new videos have released for the anime. Here is a 90 second trailer:
The second promotional video for Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin – Aoi Hitomi no Casval:
And the first PV, which was released with the announcement:
Tickets for Gundam: The Origin – Aoi Hitomi no Casval will go on sale from November 29, which will include a special Zeon and Munzo Defense Unit Pin Set. The set itself will cost ¥2,000 (~ $20.00 USD). Japanese retail chain Lawson will also be selling advance tickets bundled with a making of Blu-ray with an interview with Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, from December 1st till February 3rd for ¥5,000 (~ $50.00 USD).
The animated film is an adaptation of the manga written by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko and ran from June 2001 till June 2011 for a total of 23 volumes. The series was published by Kadokawa Shoten in their Gundam Ace Magazine.
Gundam is one of Japan’s largest and most iconic franchise. The franchise is mostly set in a science fiction future that focuses on giant mechanical robots. The franchise was created by Hajime Yatate, a group of animators from the studio Sunrise, lead by Yoshiyuki Tomino. It began in 1979 with the release of the anime series Mobile Suit Gundam, though while the anime itself did not receive high praise and viewings, the eventual gunpla models from Bandai launched the series into popularity. Since then, there has been a plethora of anime series, OVAs, films, manga, light novels, games and merchandise based on the franchise. It has become an iconic symbol of Japanese pop culture where Bandai make over 50 billion yen per fiscal year on the models alone. The franchise hit its 35th anniversary on April 7th this year.
Here is a synopsis of Gundam: The Origin:
The four-episode project will tell the story of Casval Rem Deikun and Artesia Som Deikun (Char and Sayla, before Char became known as the Red Comet) before the One-Year War in UC.0068.
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin – Aoi Hitomi no Casval will be releasing in Japan on February 28. The first film will be shown in 13 theatres across Japan, which will also have advance sales for the Blu-ray release of the film.
You can visit the anime’s site here: http://www.gundam-the-origin.net/
And follow them on Twitter: @G_THE_ORIGIN
Source Images – Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Website
“Gundam: The Origin”, “Gundam”, images, videos and all associated brands and titles © 2014 Sunrise, Bandai co., Ltd, Kadokawa Shoten and Yoshikazu Yasuhiko