The official website of the anime adaptation of Hajime Isayama’s Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) manga has released home media information of the anime’s final season. The new information reveals that the anime will contain a total of 16 episodes.
The website has revealed that there will be two home media volumes for Attack on Titan: Final Season. Both volumes will contain a special box designed by anime character designer Tomohiro Kishi, a drama CD, storyboards, a booklet, and behind the scenes videos. The volumes will each retail for ¥19, 800 (~ USD$190), with the option for either a DVD and Blu-ray edition.
The release date and episodes are:
- Volume 1 – May 19, 2021, episodes 60 – 67
- Volume 2 – July 21, 2021, episodes 68 – 75
The anime is currently airing every Monday on NHK at 12:10am JST.
The main cast of the anime returns for the final season (character designs not updated):
- Yuuki Kaiji (Issei Hyoudou from High School DxD) returning to voice Eren Yeager
- Yui Ishikawa (Hinaki Shinjou in Hinaki Shinjou) as Mikasa Ackerman
- Marina Inoue (Tooka Yatogami in Date A Live) voicing as Armin Arlert
- Kishou Taniyama (Natsuki Shinomiya from Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love) will voice Jean Kirstein
- Yuu Kobayashi (Katsuragi in Senran Kagura) voicing as Sasha Blouse
- Shiori Mikami (Akari Akaza from YuruYuri) returns to voice Historia Reiss
- Hiro Shimono (Keima Katsuragi in The World God Only Knows) who will voice Connie Springer
- Yoshimasa Hosoya (Junpei Hyuuga in Kuroko’s Basketball) returning as Reiner Braun
- Hiroshi Kaminya (Izaya Orihara from Durarara!!) who will voice Levi
- Romi Park (Edward Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist) back as Hanji Zoe
The production staff of the upcoming anime includes:
- Director: Yuichiro Hayashi (Dorohedoro, Kakegurui)
- Chief Director: Jun Shishido (Hajime no Ippo Rising and Katsute Kami Datta Kemono-tachi e Director)
- Series Composer: Hiroshi Seko (Dorohedoro, Mob Psycho 100, Attack on Titan Scriptwriter,)
- Chief Animation Director: Daisuke Niinuma (Kakegurui, Katsute Kami Datta Kemono-tachi e)
- Anime Character Designer: Tomohiro Kishi (Dorohedoro, Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun)
- Art Director: Kazuo Ogura (Dragon Ball Super: Broly, Fullmetal Alchemist Movies)
- Sound Director: Masafumi Mima (Attack on Titan, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood)
- Music Composers: Hiroyuki Sawano (Attack on Titan, Guilty Crown) and Kohta Yamamoto (DIVE!!, Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Impure King Arc)
- Animation Studio: MAPPA (Zankyou no Terror, Yuri!! on Ice)
Here is the latest promotional video of the upcoming season:
Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) is an action manga series written and illustrated by Hajime Isayama. It started in 2009 and is published in Kodansha’s monthly Bessatsu Shounen Magazine. To date, there has been a total of 32 compiled volumes. A prequel light novel adaptation started in 2011, and two spin-off manga started serialization in 2012: Shingeki no Kyojin: Before the Fall and Shingeki! Kyojin Chuugakkou. In April 2013 the series was picked up for an anime adaptation. The anime series was produced by the newly formed Wit Studios. The series has grown in popularity since the anime’s debut, with the manga selling over 45 million copies as of April this year. Numerous game adaptations of the film were created following the anime, including a PlayStation 4 title. Two live-action film adaptations were released in Japan in 2015. A second season was produced and aired in the Spring 2017 anime season for 12 episodes. The third season was split up into two parts, the first in Summer 2018 and the second in Spring 2019.
Here is a synopsis of the anime from MAL:
Several hundred years ago, humans were nearly exterminated by titans. Titans are typically several stories tall, seem to have no intelligence, devour human beings and, worst of all, seem to do it for the pleasure rather than as a food source. A small percentage of humanity survived by walling themselves in a city protected by extremely high walls, even taller than the biggest of titans.
Flash forward to the present and the city has not seen a titan in over 100 years. Teenage boy Eren and his foster sister Mikasa witness something horrific as the city walls are destroyed by a colossal titan that appears out of thin air. As the smaller titans flood the city, the two kids watch in horror as their mother is eaten alive. Eren vows that he will murder every single titan and take revenge for all of mankind.
The final season of the Attack on Titan anime airs every Monday on NHK at 12:10am JST.
Visit the anime’s official website: https://shingeki.tv/final/
And follow them on Twitter: @anime_shingeki