The official website of the TV anime adaptation of Cygames’ Granblue Fantasy smart phone game has revealed that the upcoming second season special episode Granblue Fantasy The Animation Season 2 Djeeta-hen (One more journey) will premiere on March 28th. The first visual for the episode was also revealed.
The upcoming special episode will premiere on the midnight of March 27th (effectively March 28) on Tokyo MX, Tochigi TV, GTV, and on BS11.
The main cast of the upcoming special includes (from top to bottom):
- Kana Hanazawa (Kanade Tachibana from Angel Beats!) as Zeta
- Aya Hirano (Haruhi Suzumiya in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) voicing Beatrix
- Hisako Kanemoto (Erina in Shokugeki no Souma) voicing the role of Gita
The main cast from the main series includes:
- Yuuki Ono (Taiga Kagami in Kuroko’s Basketball) leads the cast as Gran
- Nao Touyama (Chitoge Kirisaki in Nisekoi) voicing as Lyria
- Miyuki Sawashiro (Celty Sturluson from Durarara!!) as Catalina Alize
- Rie Kugimiya (Alphonse Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood) voices Vyrn
- Hiroaki Hirata (Sanji from One Piece) as Rackam
- Yukari Tamura (Jibril from No Game No Life) voicing Io Euclase
- Keiji Fujiwara (Tatsuya Kimura from Hajime no Ippo) is replacing Kazuhiro Yamaji (Jouji Saiga from Psycho-Pass) as Eugene due to medical reasons.
The production staff of Granblue Fantasy: The Animation Season 2 will have new staff members handling the production:
- Director: Yui Umemoto (Cardfight!! Vanguard G)
- Series Composer: Kiyoko Yoshimura (Cardfight!! Vanguard G, Akuma no Riddle)
- Anime Character Designer: Fumihide Sai (Shugo Chara!, Gokujo.: Gokurakuin Joshikou Ryou Monogatari)
- Art Director: Nobuhito Sue (Handsome na Kanojo, Princess Army)
- Music Composers: Tsutomu Narita (Final Fantasy XIV, Granblue Fantasy) and Yasunori Nishiki (Azur Lane, Granblue Fantasy)
- Animation Studio: MAPPA (Zankyou no Terror, Yuri!! on Ice)
Here is the main promotional video for season 2:
Granblue Fantasy is a mobile RPG developed by Cygames and published by Mobage for Android and iOS devices. The game released in Japan in March 2014 and garnered much attention with Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy I – Final Fantasy XI) composing the game’s music. The game is very popular in Japan and has been downloaded over 10 million times within its year of release. It was previously announced at TGS 2015 that the game would see an international release, but so far the game is only avaliable in Japan. The series received a light novel adaptation in 2014 from the game’s writers and a manga adaptation by Makoto Fuugetsu and Kendi Oiwa (Welcome to the N.H.K.) that started publication in April 2016. The series also received a TV anime adaptation in Spring 2017, directed by Yuuki Itoh (Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid) and produced by A1-Pictures (Sword Art Online, Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso). A second season was produced for the Fall/Autumn 2019 anime season. The series also received a console video game adaptation that was headed by Platinum Games (Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance) that was slated for 2018. However, Cygames announced in early 2019 that Platinum Games are no longer involved in the project.
Here is the series synopsis from MAL:
This is a world of the skies, where many islands drift in the sky. A boy named Gran and a talking winged lizard named Vyrn lived in Zinkenstill, an island which yields mysteries. One day, they come across a girl named Lyria. Lyria had escaped from the Erste Empire, a military government that is trying to rule over this world using powerful military prowess. In order to escape from the Empire, Gran and Lyria head out into the vast skies, holding the letter Gran’s father left behind—which said, “I will be waiting at Estalucia, Island of Stars.”
The special episode of Granblue Fantasy The Animation Season 2 will air on the Midnight of March 27/28.
You can visit the anime’s website here: http://anime.granbluefantasy.jp/
And follow their Twitter: @anime_gbf