The official website of the TV anime adaptation of Aneko Yusagi and Minami Seira’s Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari (The Rising of the Shield Hero) has announced that the second season will premiere this October (Fall/Autumn 2021). In addition, a brand new visual and promotional video were also revealed.
Here is the first promotional video for the second season:
The main cast of the first season will return for season 2:
- Kaito Ishikawa (Tsumugu Kihara from Nagi no Asukara) as Naofumi Iwatani
- Asami Tano (Akane Hino from Smile Precure!) returns to voice Raphtalia
- Rina Hidaka (Airi Kashii in Ro-Kyu-Bu!) as Filo
- Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (Kirito in Sword Art Online) as Ren Amaki
- Minami Takahashi (Megumi Tadokoro from Shokugeki no Souma) voices the role of Motoyasu Kitamura
- Yoshitaka Yamaya (Yuuki Hase in Isshuukan Friends.) as Itsuki Kawasumi
The second season minor differences in production staff from the first season:
- Director: Masato Jinbo (Senryuu Shoujo, Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya)
- Series Composer: Keigo Koyanagi (Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars, Go! Go! 575)
- Anime Character Designer and Animation Director: Masahiro Suwa (The World God Only Knows and Hitsugi no Chaika Animation Director):
- Music Composer: Kevin Penkin (Made in Abyss, Under the Dog)
- Sound Director: Fumiyuki Go (Overlord, Rail Wars!)
- Animation Studio: Kinema Citrus (Barakamon, Yuyushiki) and DR Movie (First Solo Series)
Here is the main PV of season 1:
Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari (The Rising of the Shield Hero) is a fantasy light novel series written by Yusagi Aneko and illustrated by Seira Minami. The series began as a web novel on Shousetsuka ni Narou. Publisher Media Factory picked up the series in 2012 under their MF Books imprint, where to date a total of 22 volumes have been published. The novels received a manga adaptation in early 2014, being published in Kadokawa’s Monthly Comic Flapper magazine with a total of 17 compiled volumes. Two more subsequent manga spin-offs and a light novel spin-off were also produced. The series was adapted into a TV anime that premiered during the Winter 2018/2019 anime season, directed by Takao Abo (Norn9: Norn+Nonet) and produced by Kinema Citrus (Barakamon, Yuyushiki).
Here is the series synopsis from MAL:
The Four Cardinal Heroes are a group of ordinary men from modern-day Japan summoned to the kingdom of Melromarc to become its saviors. Melromarc is a country plagued by the Waves of Catastrophe that have repeatedly ravaged the land and brought disaster to its citizens for centuries. The four heroes are respectively bestowed a sword, spear, bow, and shield to vanquish these Waves. Naofumi Iwatani, an otaku, becomes cursed with the fate of being the “Shield Hero.” Armed with only a measly shield, Naofumi is belittled and ridiculed by his fellow heroes and the kingdom’s people due to his weak offensive capabilities and lackluster personality.
When the heroes are provided with resources and comrades to train with, Naofumi sets out with the only person willing to train alongside him, Malty Melromarc. He is soon betrayed by her, however, and becomes falsely accused of taking advantage of her. Naofumi then becomes heavily discriminated against and hated by the people of Melromarc for something he didn’t do. With a raging storm of hurt and mistrust in his heart, Naofumi begins his journey of strengthening himself and his reputation. Further along however, the difficulty of being on his own sets in, so Naofumi buys a demi-human slave on the verge of death named Raphtalia to accompany him on his travels.
As the Waves approach the kingdom, Naofumi and Raphtalia must fight for the survival of the kingdom and protect the people of Melromarc from their ill-fated future.
A second season of the Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari TV anime is in production and will air in October, during the Fall/Autumn 2021 anime season.
Visit the anime’s website here: http://shieldhero-anime.jp/
And follow their Twitter: @shieldheroanime