The official website of the anime adaptation of Koushi Tachibana and Tsunako’s Date A Live light novel series has announced that the delayed fourth season will now premiere in April 2022. In addition, a brand new promotional video and updated character designs were also revealed.
Date a Live Season 4 was originally announced to premiere in October 2021 during the Fall/Autumn 2021 anime season. However, the series was delayed and will instead air this April in the Spring 2022 anime season.
The second promotional video has been released for the 4th season, introducing to us the new characters that will debut this season:
Here is the previous PV:
Two new cast members have been announced for the 4th season:
- Hitomi Nabatame (Kazusa Touma in White Album 2) joins the cast to voice Nia Honjo
- Akari Kageyama (Nana Ebina from Himouto! Umaru-chan) as Mukuro Hoshimiya
Updated character designs have been revealed for the returning main cast:
- Nobunaga Shimazaki (Haruka Nanase in Free!) returns to voice Shido Itsuka
- Marina Inoue (Laura Bodewig in IS: Infinite Stratos) is voicing as Tohka Yatogami
- Misuzu Togashi (Yukiteru Amano from Mirai Nikki) voices Origami Tobiichi
- Ayana Taketatsu (Suguha Kirigaya from Sword Art Online) will be voicing Kotori Itsuka
- Iori Nomizu (Haruna in Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?) as Yoshino
- Asami Sanada (Sawako Yamanaka from K-ON!) voices as Kurumi Tokisaki
- Maaya Uchida (Rikka Takanashi from Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!) voices Kaguya Yamai
- Sarah Emi Bridcutt (Asuka Kudou in Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo?) returns to voice Yuzuru Yamai
- Minori Chihara (Yuki Nagato in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) as Miku Izayoi
- Ayumi Mano (Alice from Shinigami Bocchan to Kuro Maid) as Natsumi Kyouno
The fourth season will have a new set of production staff working on the anime, with only composer Go Sakabe returning:
- Director: Jun Nakagawa (Date A Bullet, High School Fleet)
- Series Composer: Fumihiko Shimo (Non Non Biyori, Amagi Brilliant Park)
- Anime Character Designer: Naoto Nakamura (High School Fleet, Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai)
- Music Composer: Go Sakabe (Date A Live, Digimon Adventure tri.)
- Animation Production: Geek Toys (Date A Bullet, RErideD)
Date A Live is a mecha, romantic comedy light novel series written by Koushi Tachibana and illustrated by Tsunako. The light novels began in March 2011 and ended in early 2020. The series is published by Fujimi Shobo in their Dragon Magazine and ran for a total of 22 published volumes. The series had a manga spin-off series that ran from March 2012 to late 2013 by Fujimi Shobo. The series received an anime adaptation that first aired in March 2013 by studio AIC PLUS+ (GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class, Super Seisyun Brothers), directed by Keitaro Motonaga (School Days, Jormungand). A second season of the anime was produced in April 2014 by Production IMS (Shinmai Maou no Testament, Ore, Twintail ni Narimasu) and the third season in 2019. A total of 2 video games have been adapted for the PlayStation 3 that was released in 2013 and in Summer 2014. A sequel film titled Date A Live: Mayuri Judgement was released in Summer 2015. The spin-off series Date A Bullet was also adapted into anime films in 2020.
Here is a synopsis of the original series from MAL:
Three decades ago, more than a hundred million people fell victim to an unprecedented disaster that came to be known as a “spatial quake.” Ever since then, humanity has built countermeasures to mitigate the damage from future catastrophes such as instantaneous evacuation methods and immediate rebuilding of any architectural damage.
At present, 16-year-old Shidou Itsuka lives alone with his sister, Kotori. One day, he gets caught in a spatial quake despite preemptive warnings. Miraculously surviving the blast, he meets a mysterious girl in its wake, who he soon comes to know as a “Spirit”—supernatural beings who are the cause behind these spatial quakes. Coincidentally, he learns of the “Anti-Spirit Team,” a specialized military unit tasked with destroying these Spirits with brute force.
As if these revelations weren’t shocking enough, Shidou finds himself recruited into working for Ratatoskr, an organization dedicated to peacefully reducing the threat brought by Spirits—with his sister as its commander! As the new weapon of Ratatoskr, Shidou must nullify the Spirits’ powers to prevent them from causing more havoc. His line of attack: go on dates with them, sealing the deal with a passionate kiss.
Date a Live Season 4 will now be airing this upcoming April during the Spring 2022 anime season.
You can visit the anime’s website here: https://date-a-live4th-anime.com/
And follow their Twitter: @date_a_info