The official Twitter and website of the anime adaptation of Kugane Maruyama and So-bin’s Overlord light novel series has revealed that the original series has passed the 2 million mark of copies in circulation. The illustrator of the series, So-bin, has drawn an image to celebrate the news.
— オーバーロード／TVアニメ公式 (@over_lord_anime) September 18, 2015
The light novel series received an anime adaptation during the Summer 2015 anime season, running for a total of 12 episodes. The main cast of the anime includes:
- Satoshi Hino (Yuuji Sakai in Shakugan no Shana) will voice Momonga, the guild leader of Ains
- Yumi Hara (Takane Shijou in The iDOLM@STER) will be voicing Albedo
- Sumire Uesaka (Sanae Dekomori in Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!) as Shalltear Bloodfallen
- Emiri Katou (Kyuubey from Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica) is voicing as Aura Bella Fiore
- Yumi Uchiyama (Yoko Inokuma in Kiniro Mosaic) voices Mare Bello Fiore
- Kenta Miyake (Tsume in Wolf’s Rain) will play the role of Cocytus
- Masayuki Katou (Kiyomasa Senji from Deadman Wonderland) voices Demiurge
- Shigeru Chiba (Kazuma Kuwabara in Yu Yu Hakusho) as Sebas Tian
The first members of the anime’s staff were revealed. They include:
- Director: Naoyuki Itou (Digimon: Data Squad, One Piece 3D2Y)
- Series Composer and Screenplay Writer: Yukie Sugawara (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, Sword Art Online)
- Anime Character Designer and Chief Animation Director: Yoshimatsu Takahiro (Hunter × Hunter, Trigun)
- Sound Director: Yuki Satofumi (Rail Wars!, Ninja Slayer From Animation)
- Music Composer: Shuuji Katayama (Yurumates3Dei, Francesca)
- Animation Studio: Madhouse (No Game No Life, Wolf Children)
Here is the latest promotional video of the anime:
Overlord is a fantasy light novel series written by Kugane Maruyama and illustrated by so-bin. The series began online in 2010 before Kadokawa’s Enterbrain light novel imprint began publishing the series in 2012. To date a total of 9 compiled volumes have been released. The first two volumes of the LN have sold over 100,000 copies combined. An audio CD of the series was released bundled with the light novel’s 3rd volume, and 2 drama CDs of the series were released with volumes 4 and 6. A manga adaptation of the series illustrated by Hugin Miyama began in November last year in Kadokawa Shoten’s monthly Comp Ace magazine. An anime adaptation was produced during the Summer 2015 anime season for a total of 12 episodes.
Here is a synopsis of the series from MAL:
The story begins with Yggdrasil, a popular online game which is quietly shut down one day. However, the protagonist Momonga decides to not log out. Momonga is then transformed into the image of a skeleton as “the most powerful wizard.” The world continues to change, with non-player characters (NPCs) beginning to feel emotion. Having no parents, friends, or place in society, this ordinary young man Momonga then strives to take over the new world the game has become.
The Overlord light novels has surpassed 2 million copies in print in Japan. The anime adaptation of the series has finished its run earlier in the month.
Source Article and Image – Overlord Anime Website
Source Article – Overlord Anime Twitter
“Overlord”, images, videos and all associated brands and titles © 2015 Kugane Maruyama, so-bin, Madhouse and Enterbrain