At the pre-screening event for the first episode of the upcoming second season for the anime adaptation of Kugane Maruyama and So-bin’s Overlord, it was announced that season 2 will premiere from January 9, 2018. In addition, the anime’s official website released a new visual and promotional video.
Overlord season 2 is set to premiere on Tuesday, January 9th, 2018 on AT-X at 10:30pm JST. The series will then air on Tokyo MX on the 7th at 12:30am JST, on TV Aichi at 1:35am JST and then on MBS at 2:30am JST. The show will also air on BS11 on the midnight of the 10th/11th, with reruns airing on AT-X on the 12th, 14th and 16th.
The second promotional video for the second season of Overlord has been released, which introduces to us a new cast of characters that will debut in the new season:
Here is the anime’s first promotional video:
The pre-screening event previewed the first episode, as well as a talk show and a performance of the Opening theme song, GO CRY GO by OxT. The main cast of the anime will be in attendance to host the talk show.
The main cast of the anime includes:
- Satoshi Hino (Yuuji Sakai in Shakugan no Shana) will voice Momonga, the guild leader of Ains
- Yumi Hara (Takane Shijou in The [email protected]) will be voicing Albedo
- Sumire Uesaka (Sanae Dekomori in Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!) as Shalltear Bloodfallen
- Emiri Katou (Kyuubey from Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica) is voicing as Aura Bella Fiore
- Yumi Uchiyama (Yoko Inokuma in Kiniro Mosaic) voices Mare Bello Fiore
- Kenta Miyake (Tsume in Wolf’s Rain) will play the role of Cocytus
- Masayuki Katou (Kiyomasa Senji from Deadman Wonderland) voices Demiurge
- Shigeru Chiba (Kazuma Kuwabara in Yu Yu Hakusho) as Sebas Tian
The staff of the anime includes:
- Director: Naoyuki Itou (Digimon: Data Squad, One Piece 3D2Y)
- Series Composer and Screenplay Writer: Yukie Sugawara (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, Sword Art Online)
- Anime Character Designer and Chief Animation Director: Yoshimatsu Takahiro (Hunter × Hunter, Trigun)
- Sound Director: Yuki Satofumi (Rail Wars!, Ninja Slayer From Animation)
- Music Composer: Shuuji Katayama (Yurumates3Dei, Francesca)
- Animation Studio: Madhouse (No Game No Life, Wolf Children)
OxT will perform the Opening theme song of Overlord season 2, GO CRY GO. MYTH & ROID will handle the anime’s Ending theme, HYDRA.
Overlord is a fantasy light novel series written by Kugane Maruyama and illustrated by so-bin. The series began online in 2010 before Kadokawa’s Enterbrain light novel imprint began publishing the series in 2012. To date a total of 12 compiled volumes have been released, where over 2 million prints have been sold. An audio CD of the series was released bundled with the light novel’s 3rd volume, and 2 drama CDs of the series were released with volumes 4 and 6. A manga adaptation of the series illustrated by Hugin Miyama began in November last year in Kadokawa Shoten’s monthly Comp Ace magazine. An anime adaptation was produced during the Summer 2015 anime season for a total of 13 episodes.
Here is a synopsis of the series from MAL:
The story begins with Yggdrasil, a popular online game which is quietly shut down one day. However, the protagonist Momonga decides to not log out. Momonga is then transformed into the image of a skeleton as “the most powerful wizard.” The world continues to change, with non-player characters (NPCs) beginning to feel emotion. Having no parents, friends, or place in society, this ordinary young man Momonga then strives to take over the new world the game has become.
The second season of the Overlord TV anime will air every Tuesday on AT-X at 10:30pm JST from January 9th, during the Winter 2017/2018 anime season. Further details about the anime will be revealed in the upcoming weeks.
“Overlord”, images, videos and all associated brands and titles © 2017 Kugane Maruyama, so-bin, Madhouse and Enterbrain