The official website of the anime adaptation of Akihito Tsukushi’s Made in Abyss has revealed that the upcoming second season, Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou (Made in Abyss: The Sun Blazes Upon the Golden City), will start airing on July 6. In addition, a new promotional video was also released.
The second season of Made in Abyss will premiere on Wednesday, July 6th at 10:30 pm JST on AT-X. The anime will also air on the 7th on BS11 at 1:00 am JST, and on Tokyo MX, Sun TV, and KBS Kyoto at 1:05 am JST.
Here is the third promotional video of the upcoming anime, which focuses on the Ganja Corps:
The second season takes place after the anime’s third film, Made in Abyss: Fukaki Tamashii no Reimei.
The main cast of the upcoming season sees the return of many characters, alongside a few newcomers:
- Miyu Tomita (Umaru Doma in Himouto! Umaru-chan) returns to voice Riko
- Mariya Ise (Stocking Anarchy from Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt) as Reg
- Shiori Izawa (Saya Sasamiya from Gakusen Toshi Asterisk) is back to voice Nanachi
- Misaki Kuno (Hawk in Seven Deadly Sins) as Faputa
- Yuka Terasaki (Tenma Matsukaze from Inazuma Eleven Go) as Vuelo Eluko
- Hiroaki Hirata (Sanji from One Piece) as Wazukyan
- Mitsuki Saiga (Takuto Shindou in Inazuma Eleven Go) joins the cast to voice Belaf
- Inori Minase (Rem from Re:Zero Kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu) as Prushka
- Toshiyuki Morikawa (Minato Namikaze in Naruto) as Bondrewd
The leading members of the second season’s staff include:
- Director: Masayuki Kojima (Black Bullet, Monster)
- Assistant Director: Hitoshi Haga (Sin in the Rain)
- Series Composer: Hideyuki Kurata (The World God Only Knows, OreImo)
- Anime character Designers: Kazuchika Kise (Blood-C, Ghost in the Shell: Arise) and Yuka Kuroda ()
- Music Composer: Kevin Penkin (Norn9, Under the Dog)
- Sound Director: You Yamada (Meganebu!, Black Butler)
- Animation Studio: Kinema Citrus (Barakamon, Black Bullet)
Made in Abyss is a fantasy adventure web manga written and illustrated by Akihito Tsukushi. The series began in 2012 being published online on Web Comic Gamma. To date, a total of 10 volumes have been compiled and published. The first season of the anime premiered in the Summer 2017 anime season and ran for a total of 13 episodes. The series was compiled into two films, Tabidachi no Yoake (Journey’s Dawn) and Hourou Suru Tasogare (Wandering Twilight), which were released in January 2019. The films were then followed by a sequel film that was released in Japanese theatres on January 17, 2020.
Here is the series synopsis from MAL:
The Abyss—a gaping chasm stretching down into the depths of the earth, filled with mysterious creatures and relics from a time long past. How did it come to be? What lies at the bottom? Countless brave individuals, known as Divers, have sought to solve these mysteries of the Abyss, fearlessly descending into its darkest realms. The best and bravest of the Divers, the White Whistles, are hailed as legends by those who remain on the surface.
Riko, daughter of the missing White Whistle Lyza the Annihilator, aspires to become like her mother and explore the furthest reaches of the Abyss. However, just a novice Red Whistle herself, she is only permitted to roam its most upper layer. Even so, Riko has a chance encounter with a mysterious robot with the appearance of an ordinary young boy. She comes to name him Reg, and he has no recollection of the events preceding his discovery. Certain that the technology to create Reg must come from deep within the Abyss, the two decide to venture forth into the chasm to recover his memories and see the bottom of the great pit with their own eyes. However, they know not of the harsh reality that is the true existence of the Abyss.
The second season of the Made in Abyss TV anime will air on Wednesdays, at 10:30 pm JST on AT-X from July 6, during the Summer 2022 anime season.